The three villages of the Weddin Shire are all a short drive from Grenfell and all offer their own unique attractions.
Make a day trip or stay overnight and enjoy the old fashioned country hospitality of our friendly rural communities. You are bound to bump into a local with a memorable story to tell.
Greenethorpe village grew beside Iandra railway station. It was a model township laid down in 1909. The village grew rapidly on land given by George Henry Greene. Despite George’s displeasure a hotel was built and opened in 1911. By the end of this year bakers, grocers, an egg farm and a wheelwrights shop were opened. A public school was built in 1928. The rifle club was established in 1910. Several churches were established including the Methodist church in November 1908, the Anglican church in June 1910, and the Roman Catholic Church in November 1912. In 1946 a Scout and Guide hall was erected.
Originally known as ‘Gibson Run’ Caragabal became the outlet for the Bland, where wheat was loaded on the railway for transport to Sydney. In 1907 a public school and the post office were opened. A private subdivision in 1916 created residential house blocks. In 1922 silos for wheat storage were erected near the railway station and the hotel and general store were established. The telephone exchange opened in 1923.The public hall was established in 1924. The Anglican Church was built in 1924. The Roman Catholic Church was opened in 1934. Electricity made it to Caragabal in 1948.
Quandialla named after the aboriginal word for ‘spiney ant eater’ developed in a central location roughly 60km from Grenfell, Wyalong, Forbes, Cootamundra and Young, and the main township between Forbes and Stockinbingal. Wheat yields were high and the area was known for its ability to fatten lambs. First, Second and Third Streets were one chain wide with Glasson Street at one and a half chains wide was planned as the Main Street, however shops sprung up on Second Street and this narrow road became the business centre. The post office opened in 1916. Silos at the railway and a new public school were built in 1922 to replace the original school built in 1912. The brick Hotel ‘The Bland’ was build in 1927.Electricity was installed in 1949.
Quandialla has always had progressive residents with electrically lit tennis courts opened in 1929, a bowling club opened in 1950 and the school turned into a central school with 6 teachers and several bus runs delivering children in from Bimbi, Caragabal and Pullabooka. The CWA was formed in 1928 and their main objective was a Quandialla Hospital.