The first suggestion of gold in the Weddin Mountains area was first reported in the Yass Courier in 21st February 1863, yet it was nearly 3 years until Cornelius O'Brien who was tending sheep for John Wood of Brundah saw the gleam of gold in a quartz outcrop.

O'Brien registered his claim in Young on 29th September 1866. O'Briens reef was the richest on the Grenfell gold field. It underwent numerous periods of activity and almost all of the features of the present landscape relate to mining operations.

O'Brien left the district in 1875 following the death of his wife the previous year.

O'Brien's Lookout is easily accessible to visitors with car parking, picnic facilities and toilets. There is remnant mining machinery on the site including a horse works, stamper, air shafts and poppet head. Interpretive signage explains the gold production.

You can read more about the history of gold mining in Grenfell and the region on the Gold Trails website.

New facilities at O'Brians Lookout in Grenfell NSW

Gold history at Grenfell's O'Brians Lookout

Spectacular views from the edge of town out over Grenfell