Grenfell has two Main Streets. The towns original main street George Street was established in 1866 during the gold rush. Government surveyors arrived too late and a rudimentary business precinct had already been established. The surveyors knew that George Street was too narrow and crooked to ever serve as a functional main street so they surveyed Main Street one block south of George Street knowing the town would eventually require a wider and straighter business district. In the late 1800s and early 1900s business did begin to rebuild in Main Street and much of this architecture can still be viewed. The town was quite wealthy after the gold rush and many buildings are grand with original features such as pressed tin ceilings, stained glass and intricate tiles still on display. Grenfell’s Main Street is a well preserved example of early Australian architecture.